A complete guide to getting rid of bedbugs in your house
Orlando Pest Control
A complete guide to getting rid of bedbugs in your house
Over the years, Florida has been one of the top attractions for tourists primarily due to its wonderful weather. But when we talk about Orlando city, its humidity can also bring some uninvited bed bugs and filthy pests to your home. Most commonly reported are as small as ants, wasps, and as big as rats and bats. But our focus here primarily will be on Orlando Pest Control and how we can get rid of the bed bugs in our homes.
Click Orlando Pest Control to get help with Bedbugs.
So, let’s first discuss the bed bugs.
What are the bed bugs?
Bedbugs are tiny creatures that primarily feed themselves on human/animal blood. Mainly they are found in brownish color which changes to red once they bite on any living thing.
Contrary to what we might think, bedbugs don’t fly rather they crawl over the walls and floor.
Characteristic of bed bugs
Following are some of the main characteristics associated with bedbugs
- Although small in size, they can be seen through the naked eye.
- They are mainly found in brownish color which changes to red once they are filled with blood.
- Bed bug eggs are mostly found in white color.
- They are found in size ranging from 4 to 7 mm about the size of an apple seed.
- Bed bug eggs are of very small size just like a pinhead.
- They don’t fly rather crawl on floors, walls, and ceilings.
- On average there life ranges from 5 to 6 months. However, they can survive over a year even without proper feeding.
- The average life span of a bed bug egg is around 10-14 days.
- Bed bugs tend to lay down eggs in very tight corners/spaces and are always done in groups.
Life Cycle of a Bed Bug
During its life span, a bed bug undergoes from following different stages.
- Eggs (Size around 1mm).
- First Stage Nymph (Size around 1.5mm)
- Second Stage Nymph (Size around 2mm)
- Third Stage Nymph (Size around 2.5mm)
- Fourth Stage Nymph (Size around 3mm)
- Fifth Stage Nymph (Size around 4.5mm)
- Adult Male/Female
Now let’s discuss these stages one by one
First Stage Eggs (Size around 1mm)
As evident, the life of a bed bug starts from an egg of whitish color and size around 1mm. A female bed bug usually gives 1-5 eggs each day and can give a maximum of 500 eggs during its lifetime. The eggs are normally laid in corners/tight spaces. Within 14 days an egg is grown up into an immature bed bug that can immediately start its feed.
Nymphs (Size around 1.5-4.5mm)
An immature bed bug goes through four different stages before attaining maturity. During these stages, it continuously increases its size from 1.5 mm to 4.5 mm. A second stage Nymph may look like an adult bed bug but they are yet to achieve sexual maturity. A nymph needs continuous feeding to achieve full maturity and during this, it changes its color from yellowish-white to brownish red. At normal circumstances, a life cycle of nymph completes in 4-5 weeks.
Adult Bed bug
In the final stage, an immature nymph becomes an adult male/female adult bed bug that makes feedings every week and can survive even a year’s long time without proper feeding. In ideal conditions, an adult bed bug can make more than three generations within a year.
Hiding Places of Bed Bugs
The small size of bed bugs allows them to enter into your beds, luggage, couches, and any other place inside you home without giving you the slightest of an idea. Although they don’t make nests they exist and will live together in groups probably in the tightest corner of your apartment.
According to different studies, the initial residing places are bed mattresses, bed frames, box springs, and inside couches where they can easily bite people while they are sleeping during night time. With time their number starts to increase and spread in every corner of your apartment. And this is not only associated with small homes they can even be found in big buildings like hotels, hospitals, rest houses, etc. So proper precautions are required if we are to get rid of these bed bugs. Apart from the most common places, they can also be found in
- Your bedroom furniture
- Your drawers
- Suitcases, bags, clothing
- Floor carpets and room curtains
- Doors and window frames
So far we have covered the basics of bed bugs and their hiding places. Now let’s move on to more advanced discussions related to precautions to avoid their spread and treatment that most of the well renowned Orlando pest control companies will suggest.
How bed bugs spread?
According to the well renowned Orlando pest control companies, bed bugs spread through
- Furniture reconditioning in an unclean atmosphere
- Furniture movement during house change
- Bedsheets and clothing moved after conditioning in a local laundry
- Shopping bags and luggage during trips
- Electric wires, pipes, ducts and any other opening through wall or ceiling
- Close contact with most frequently used things like your mobile phone, laptop bag, and clothing.
5 Tips to avoid bed bug prevention recommended by Orlando pest control companies
Here are some of the most common tips recommended by the most renowned Orlando pest control companies to prevent bed bug infestation.
- Prevent Clutter
The first and foremost thing is to try and prevent stockpiling your room/apartment with different items. In this way, the number of hiding places for bed bugs will reduce and hence preventing their growth.
- Clean all the used clothing
You need to be very careful when you buy any used clothes from any cheap store. After careful examination, make sure to put them in a sealed shopping bag and clean all the clothing as soon as you arrive home. Once done you can now safely place them anywhere you want.
- Take precautions while moving furniture
One of the most common modes of the infestation is through moving furniture. So we need to be very careful while selecting a mover with proper consideration given to its previous reviews. Make sure to properly seal all the important stuff like bedsheets, curtains, clothing, and mattresses to avoid bed bugs during movement. Once all the moving stuff is ready, properly inspect the moving vehicle and make sure there are no visible bugs there.
- Necessary Precautions during Travelling
Whenever you are on an intercity or international travel and you have to stay in a hotel, make sure you inspect your bedroom especially your bed where you have to sleep. In case of any visible bed bug call the hotel reception for the proper measure. Once everything is clean and ready, make sure to put your suitcase only on the designated rack.
- Properly inspect your suitcase when returned home
Once you are back home from traveling, properly examine your suitcase before taking it inside the living room. Take proper measures in case you find any suspected thing.
Recommended treatments for bed bugs
So what shall we do if we still get infected due to lack of attention or precautions? This should start by cleaning the following
- Clean all the beddings and clothing in warm water and dry them on maximum temperature possible for at least 30 minutes.
- For bed mattresses use the scrub brush to eliminate all the bed bugs.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean your bed and surround the area.
- Properly seal of the bed mattress and spring to eliminate any possibility of bed bugs to enter or escape.
- Repair all cracks and openings in doors and window frames.
This should eliminate all the infestations but if you are still not satisfied you can always call Orlando pest control companies for their professional exterminating services. These people are professionally trained to use commercial insecticides with special equipment. The method involves thorough inspection along with heat treatment at 118F for a minimum of 70 minutes (time can vary depending upon the extent of infestation). In the end, all types of bed bugs are eliminated.
Bed bugs during its lifetime go through several different stages starting from an egg to an immature form of bed bug known as Nymph to a fully grown adult bed bug. In ideal conditions, an adult bed bug can go on to produce more than three generations within a year.
These bed bugs can’t be removed completely by using insecticides, at best they can kill slow the pace of infestation but will not stop the contamination. And they should be used with PPEs as they come up with certain health hazards.
Pest infestations can’t be cured by the traditional way of over the counter treatments. Although if applied they will definitely. So as already covered in the above discussion, the best possible way to avoid infestations is through following recommended measures and precautions. If you are still not satisfied then better is to contact Orlando pest control professionals instead of using the chemical treatment yourself. These are expert in their field and are equipped with state of the art technology and controls.
So, in the end, we can conclude our discussion by saying that although bed bugs are a kind of annoyance but still they are not considered to transmit any diseases. Proper precautions and measures should be followed to prevent it.
So spend the day at Disney World and let All American Pest Control take care of your home.